You can implement many strategies to ensure your home is greener, environmentally friendly and less toxic, both for you and for the earth. This post will talk about using more energy efficient lighting solutions for your home to ensure it is greener and healthier for you, your family and your pets (if you have any).
There are a number ways you can use less electricity and thus less energy for all of your lighting in your home. Less energy equates to lower bills and that means you not only save the planet, but you also save yourself lots of money each quarter that you electricity bill arrives.
Some tips to use more energy efficient lighting are:
- Replace regular light bulbs with the energy efficient fluorescent lamps (CFLs), which last about 10 times as long and use 75% less energy than regular light bulbs
- Use energy efficient downlights instead of the halogen lighting
- Use light fittings with only one bulb - try to avoid light fittings that have several bulbs (such as chandeliers)
- Use solar powered lights for all lighting outside your house - these are the cheapest lighting possible, as they run on solar energy
- Add skylights to dark areas, to enable less usages of lights until it is really dark