You can implement many strategies to ensure your home is greener, environmentally friendly and less toxic, both for you and for the earth. This post will talk about reducing your rubbish load for your home to ensure it is greener and healthier for you, your family and your pets (if you have any).
It is really important to try to reduce your rubbish load to help reduce the amount of refuse and waste that is piling up in all of the rubbish dumps in countries all around the world. Some items of rubbish don't even decompose for many years and others get stuck in the waterways, poisoning and trapping wildlife.
Some tips on how to reduce your rubbish load:
- Try to buy products that are re-usable instead of ones that are disposable - razors, cups, pens
- Re-use your food packages - glass coffee jars, jams, juice bottles - these can all be re-used again and again, as storage for your other foods (just make sure you wash the bottles and jars properly after each use)
- Buy fruit and vegetables loose, not in packets
- Recycle your rubbish properly with recycling bins your local council provides and if you do not have the right ones or need more, request them
- Compost your food scraps so that they do not need to go into your bins